Queen Margaret’s School is accepting applications for a Learning Support Teacher to join our faculty, beginning August 27, 2018. The Learning Support teacher is responsible for supporting students with diverse needs by collaborating with classroom teachers, parents, specialists, and other learning team members. “Level B” testing qualifications would be an asset. Experience with English Language Learners in a junior school setting (K to Grade 7) would be an asset.
The candidate must possess or be eligible for Teacher certification with an emphasis on Special Education through the BC Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers interested in joining Queen Margaret’s School community must embrace the ethos of an independent school education, develop positive relationships with all community members, and contribute to a collaborative learning community. Dedicated time for collaborating with a team to design and implement cross-curricular units of study throughout the year is provided.
All applications must include proof of teacher certification and degrees obtained.
- Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive environment
- Confer with parents, classroom teachers, specialists, and other learning team members to develop individualized education programs (IEPs) designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social/emotional development
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on students as required by BC Ministry of Education Special Education Funding requirements
- Employ special education strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, and memory
- Instruct students in academic subjects using a variety of techniques such as phonetics, multi-sensory learning, and repetition to reinforce learning and meet students’ varying needs
- Modify the general education curriculum for students with learning challenges based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies
- Bring energy, enthusiasm and a love for learning to the classroom
- Attend meetings and school events as required
- Model the core values of the school
- Collaborate with peers to support a student-centred learning environment
- Take an active part in all professional development activities, including staff meetings
- Other related work as assigned
The following are requirements for this position:
- Graduate of a recognized B.Ed program with an emphasis on Special Education
- Proof of BC Ministry of Education Teacher Certification
- Experience supporting students with diverse needs
- Working knowledge of BC Ministry of Education Special Education Funding requirements
- Experience in the development, implementation, monitoring, and review of IEPs in consultation with parents and learning team members
- Excellent working knowledge of program modifications/adaptations, differentiated learning strategies, and progress monitoring/evaluation
- Experience with young English Language Learners (K to Grade 7)
- Highly effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience, sensitivity and awareness of working within a multi-cultural environment
- Willingness to embrace the ethos of an independent school and make a commitment to the extensive co-curricular life of an independent school
Preference will be given to candidates who also have the following skills and qualifications:
- Level B testing qualifications
- Experience with English Language Learners in a Junior School setting
- Standard First Aid certification or above
- Valid driver's license and clean driver abstract