Queen Margaret's School is looking for full-time and part-time Barn Workers to support the day-to-day operations of the Shirley Burr Equestrian Centre. Preference will be given to candidates available for weekend shifts.
During the school year, between 40-50 horses are housed on campus. Barn workers are responsible for the daily cleaning of stalls, feeding and care of the horses, as well as performing other duties as required. The work schedule will include at least one weekend day. Please note that work schedules and procedures are following all COVID-19 safety protocols.
All applicants for this position will be expected to agree to have a Criminal Record Check initiated by Queen Margaret's School.
The following are requirements for this position:
- Experience with horses in a stable environment
- Valid Driver's License
- Excellent organizational skills (for competitions, etc.)
- Experience, sensitivity and awareness of working within a multicultural environment
Preference will be given to candidates who also have the following skills and qualifications:
- Level 1 First Aid certification
- Class 4 Driver's License
- Heavy Trailer Endorsement (Code 20) for Driver's License (Class 4 or Class 5)
- Proven ability to take personal responsibility for quality of work
- Clean stalls/shelters on a daily basis. Ensure all barn areas are neat and tidy.
- Feed and water horses according to schedule.
- Turn horses in and out.
- Clean paddocks and water tubs on a regular basis.
- Maintain vigilance on horses' health and inform Barn Manager of any concerns.
- Be punctual and reliable.
- Be in good physical condition (lifting and carrying involved in the duties).
- Possess a positive attitude and work as a team player.
- Be able to work with minimum supervision.
- Be willing to attend and practice safety-related training provided by the School.
- Day, evening, weekend and possible overnight work required.
- Meals are included as a taxable benefit.
- Some heavy lifting and carrying (hay bales, etc.) may be required.